Sunday, November 9, 2008

N. Star progress & a diagonal set tutoial

I am moving right along on my designing of the North Star quilt. I will soon be making a decision about adding borders, but for now I am working the diagonal setting blocks. I thought I would share with you the math/method I use to figure the blocks for the corners and side sets.
In order to have the straight of grain on the edges of the corner pieces they are cut differently than the side pieces. I cut 2 squares 2" larger than the block.
Then cut these in half diagonally for the corners.
4 corners.
For the side setting blocks I measure the diagonal size of the block, add 3" cut your square using that measurement. Then simply cut into four sections, the outer edge will be straight of grain.



Add the side setting blocks to the end of the rows before sewing the rows together. Simple as that.

Now to come up with a border design.

Happy Quilting!



2 comments:

  1. I love the quilt! You are a quilting genius! I want to get back to my quilting soon. Getting up super early trying to budget my time wisely so I can get in some sewing or stitching. My heart is craving it! Worked all day yesterday playing catch up. Now back to my regular chores. I see sewing in sight! LOL! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quilt is going to be great! Good ol' Tri Recs Stars--I love them!

    ReplyDelete